Everyone has probably heard of acne. But what exactly is it? Acne vulgaris is the medical term for (adolescent) pimples and is one of the most common skin problems around the world. Lots of people have suffered from acne during their puberty, but unfortunately it can also occur later in life.
How does acne develop?
Acne is in many cases caused by the overproduction of sebum. This can occur, for example, during puberty, when the body undergoes many changes. When this happens, the sebaceous glands in the face become larger and that's why more sebum needs to be produced. Sometimes, the skin produces too much sebum which will all stack up and clog the pore in the end. This is where blackheads (comedones) are created. It's very important to keep these blackheads clean, because otherwise inflammation can occur. These inflammations will lead to red bumps and pimples.
- Acne doesn't only occur during puberty, but also at a later age in life.
- There are different types of acne, for example acne vulgaris is the most common one. In addition, there's also acne inversa and acne neonatorum (baby acne)
- Acne can have various causes, namely: genetic predisposition, stress, nutrition and hormonal fluctuations.
Tips for acne treatment
If you've noticed facial acne, you can probably use the tips below!
- Always keep the skin clean and when choosing a good cleanser, look for ingredients such as salicylic- and glycolic acid. These ingredients are extremely effective in caring for acne-prone skin! Note: gently cleanse the skin, scrubbing can aggravate acne. The mild Clay And Glow Straw-Jelly Cleanser contains, among other things, glycolic acid and is very suitable for skin problems such as acne.
- Stress often causes complaints such as headaches and skin problems. So try to pay more attention to relaxation in your free time. For example, you can get relaxation from sport or by resting. You definitely should be jogging around or take a relaxing bath!
- During your skincare routine, pay close attention to the ingredients of the products you use. It's essential that the products don't include harmful substances, such as alcohol and perfume. These ingredients will make acne worse or cause a dry, flaky skin. For example, check out the Clay And Glow Sensitive Skin Set. This bundle is especially formulated for sensitive skin and doesn't contain any harmful ingredients.
- Finally, we think it's also a good idea to have a look at your nutrition. Vitamins and antioxidants, for example, have a good effect on the skin. So make sure you drink enough water (or unsweetened tea) and have some more vitamins A and/or C.
If the above steps, after a month of consistent actions, still do not provide results, you can of course always consult your doctor or dermatologist. They can look into possible medical treatments with you.
Want to know more about the Clay And Glow products in combination with your acne-prone skin? We're here to help! Just send us a message on Instagram or mail our customer service: firstname.lastname@example.org.